by Jon Penn
Here are some advantages of e mail marketing:
1. Marketing using e mail is a great way to advertise your business and communicate with your customers. It is, on the whole very economical and can help greatly in creating brand awareness and visibility. It is much more effective and less time consuming than other direct marketing strategies.
2. Email marketing has a good response rate from 5% to 35% this depends on the type of industry, how it is formatted and how it is operated. These response rates are very good compared to other direct marketing methods.
3. When your customer subscribes to your email list, the information you can gather about their wants and interests, is important when you are considering on what products you want to offer them. With emarketing you also get a very targeted market, the reason for this is your customer has shown an interest simply by subscribing to your e mail list.
4. It is quick and efficient unlike the conventional marketing like direct mail, which can take up time to construct and implement. Opt in email list marketing on the other hand can be up and running in a matter of days and not weeks, also response times are much faster than other conventional direct marketing methods.
5. Informational products such as ebooks can be down loaded immediately when you submit the information asked for.
6. Email can be sent automatically by using an autoresponder, they are easy to operate and can contact thousands of customers with just a click of a button. Autoresponders can be set to send emails at a specific time and day twenty four hours a day seven days a week.
Here are some disadvantages of e mail marketing:
1. Spam is a big problem, but thanks to anti - spam programs and email servers, emails can be filtered and sent to a spam folder. Be aware that some emails which might be considered as spam could be legitimate emails, so check your spam folder on a regular basis.
2. Your email marketing messages have to be short, quick and to the point you should not try to describe your product in great detail. This tends to curb creativity, but you can put your creativity and advertising expertise to good use in your website.
3. Some small businesses do not realize the power of email marketing therefore do not use it to its full extent, and miss out on a lot of good business opportunities.
Everybody can take advantage of email marketing as an advertising tool, no matter what size of business they have. Keep these e mail advantages and disadvantages in mind when you construct your next e marketing campaign. Good luck.
Jon Penn is a Research Manager with Scoot Data (www.scootdata.com); Jon Penn is solely responsible for the contents of this article.